Thursday, September 2, 2010

Hood to Coast Relay

Although I didn't return immediately with a follow-up post, I'm back! These last couple of weeks have been quite hectic, but I managed to capture a few moments on camera to share with all of you (which is ironic...because no one is currently following this blog). :)

I recently participated in the Hood to Coast Relay. It is a 197 mile race that starts at Mount Hood, Oregon and ends at the coast (near Astoria). Race officials capped off the number of racing teams at 1,000 (each with 12 runners). A 12 hour staggered start allowed groups of teams to be released every 15 minutes. I was amazed that it only took us 28 hours to run the race, even though the winning team ran the whole race in just over 16 hours.


A best friend of mine (below) invited me to join her and several other people she knew from MSU to run the race. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it ended up being a great experience. Here are a couple of pictures taken at the Timberline Lodge, where we stayed the night prior to the race.
I would have to say that the most challenging part wasn't the running itself, but the lack of sleep one must endure to finish the race. However, in running mostly hills, I was definitely sore after running my legs! (Below is our team name :P and the whole team clustered together in front of Timberline Lodge)


On another note...


This is a book my best friend gave me on the HTC trip. Wow! I'm a huge fan of Donald Miller now. His writing is unlike any I've ever read. It seems as if you're having an in-depth, heart-to-heart conversation with him about his life; however, I could personally relate with so many of his thoughts and experiences. The book definitely left me with a desire to do more with my life than just sit at home or work and plug away at the computer. So...I want to promise to make a few changes over the next year. I would like to volunteer somewhere, go somewhere new and unexpected on a whim, try a new hobby, and make 5 new friends. I know it doesn't sound like much...but for me, it's definitely a step outside my comfort zone! :)

Well, that's all for this post...Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment