Monday, January 31, 2011

My First Sewing Project!

I have some very exciting news to share with all of you. I just finished my first sewing project (since back in 4th/5th grade when I participated in a sewing/quilting 4-H group). My parents had been keeping an eye out for a used sewing machine to get me last year and they found one at a local yard sale. It's a Necchi sewing machine, which is attached - via hinges - to a sewing table with drawers. It can even be placed beneath when in need of some extra space! Although it has a few flaws (particularly the tension dial and bobbin re-threader) and I'm still getting the hang of how to run it, I absolutely love it!

I wanted to share a few pictures of my first finished sewing project. It is a diaper bag (and the pattern can be seen and/or bought HERE - even though I found mine at Joanne's). The fabric is a bit "Oriental," but I still love it, especially in combination with the dark brown and creamy white. I hope you enjoy it!



 Above is a closer view of the "bottle holder." There is one on each side and they are completed with a piece of elastic on top!

 Above is a picture with the front flap folded back. Now you can see the two (non-elastic) large pockets that adorn the outside of the bag!

And finally...above is a picture of the inner pockets. There are four of them and they are also non-elastic. Btw, sorry for the poor photo quality, I'm still figuring out the lighting around the house at various times throughout the day. 

I've also been thinking of selling my creations on Etsy. I would sell bags like this one for the cost of the materials, but not the labor (until I get better). I'm still considering cards. It may be that I end up selling them in bulk (like a set of 5 or 10 cards) for a higher price. Not sure though...so let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment